Latin is not in the Dictionary

According to the new Scrabble game on Facebook, Latin is not in the dictionary. Shurely shome mishtake?

10 Responses to Latin is not in the Dictionary

1. Lynne says:

Ah, but you see, even in Chambers it has a Capital Initial Letter. This makes it a Proper Noun, (name in normal speak) and so Not Allowed…

Speak to Biddy, she will explain better than me.

2. Dan Wilson says:

I buy that Lynne. The proper noun is not permitted. But like I wouldn’t want ‘French’ the noun, I would want ‘french’ the adjective.

I want Latin, the adjective!

3. A Pedant says:

Technically, you can’t have “Latin, the adjective”. The adjective would be “latin”.

4. Dan Wilson says:

From a bigger pedant. In Scrabble it would be LATIN (as all the tile are capitals).

Would they let you have TUDOR? It’s a proper noun and an adjective too.

5. Dan Wilson says:

Not allowed Tudor… just checked.

6. Lynne says:

Maybe they just didn’t do History at school?

7. Brigadier says:

You want pedantry? I can do pedantry. There is no such adjective as ‘latin’, which is rather the point. There is only ‘Latin’ with an upper case ‘L’.

What is this called anyway? It’s not a proper adjective; I know that much.

To confuse matters still further, in my edition of the OED (1971), all words are written with an upper case initial letter before their definition.

And I realise it’s not exactly pedantic to point out typographic slips, but you mean ’tiles’ rather than ’tile’, Dan. (The Pedants’ Revolt? Which Tyler? Craig Brown’s Society Of/For Pedants? O hush my mouth…)

8. Dan Wilson says:

Well, just checked my dictionary: COD 1991 (must get a new one).

‘Latin’ with a capital L is listed as an adjective.

So we can assume that Scrabble doesn’t allow adjectives that have a capital?

But, Brigadier, would you agree that it should be allowed? ;o)

Others they don’t allow:

AMERICAN
    EDWARDIAN
    BRITISH
    TUDOR

This has to be a coding boob?

9. Brigadier says:

Which is the ‘official’ Scrabble dictionary?

It certainly should be allowed I think.

10. Lynne says:

There are lots of words from the OED that aren’t allowed in Scrabble.

Official Scrabble dictionary is Chambers.