TV Nostalgia: The Boy from Space

boy from spaceIt’s amusing to think back to the notion of schools’ television when I was a kid in the 1980s. Whole classes would sit in front of a big telly and watch broadcasts live or on video. The video was much sought after, as I recall. Televisions were wheeled from room to room. Telly time was something of a treat even if the purpose was overtly and cloyingly educational. Dramas were followed with a session discussing the language idea introduced.

There’s plenty of schools’ television to remember. But the one that sticks out for me, is The Boy from Space. It was a fairly camp rendering of a tale that saw a blond, silvery boy arrive on Earth, pursued by some sort of thin glam rock policeman. And that’s about all I remember… except for the very evocative line in the theme tune that really scared me: “space goes on forever….”

Alas there isn’t much of The Boy From Space on YouTube but this will give you a flavour and maybe evoke some memories. I’d love to find the video that has the theme tune.

(Videos edited in February 2016)

Peep Peep

The scary thin man in the long coat

9 Responses to TV Nostalgia: The Boy from Space

1. Brigadier says:

I can’t remember much of this but I do remember being absolutely terrified by John Woodnutt as the Thin Spaceman. His appearance in the quarry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4F7y__Viws (ah, sci-fi programmes and quarries…) seems just like a 70s Public Information Film about the dangers of predatory pederasts, and was to me every bit as traumatic to watch as any of the “Charley Says…” films that freaked the bejesus out of me as a nipper. Much amused to realise that he later became Sir Watkyn Bassett.

2. John Clarke says:

Where can i get a copy of Look and Read/ The Boy from Space on Disc because someone done me a copy about a year ago but the Last episode with the last Boy from Space instalment was knackered. I would be happy if someone just copied the Last 10 minutes of the last boy from space episode for me. So who’s outhere that do that for me ?????

3. Girl From Space says:

There are a few clips of Colin Mayes (Peep-Peep) on YouTube in later films such as Scum and All quiet on the Western Front. I wonder if he had a hare lip as a baby because his face has that appearance of somebody who has (think Joaquin Phoenix).

4. darren says:

i can furnish anyone with the full story of boy from space over 2 dics,contact darrenalemar@btinternet.com

5. darren says:

OHH YERR,I MEAN IT ,I HAVE IT.REALIVE IT !!!

6. darren says:

ALSO AVAILABLE DARK TOWERS AND TIM AND THE HIDDEN PEOPLE.
    CONTACT ME AT DARRENALEMAR@BTINTERNET.COM

7. Pauline says:

These episodes are all on You Tube now, I have just watched them all.

8. Chris says:

I had a memory flashback of, just as you say, sitting in a class watching this at school in the 1980s. I remember there was something about it that I found a bit freaky.

Also, wasn’t there a similar production about a haunted house or castle I seem to remember watching at school?

9. James says:

Yep, that was ‘Dark Towers’.
    Both of these are on youtube now, just watched ‘The Boy From Space’ and it brought a tear of nostalgia to my eye…